RE: X window paste takes 12 seconds

From: Ludwig, Mark
Subject: RE: X window paste takes 12 seconds
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 13:56:34 +0000

> From: Perry Smith, Friday, December 11, 2015 7:45 AM
>
> > On Dec 11, 2015, at 7:27 AM, Ludwig, Mark <ludwig.mark@siemens.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> From: Perry Smith, Thursday, December 10, 2015 6:31 PM
> >>
> >> Sometime back I had problems with X and paste when I updated my emacs.
> At
> >> that point, I purchased a VNC server from Real VNC and started using it and
> that
> >> mostly solved my issues.
> >>
> >> Now with emacs 24.5, I have paste issues again.
> >>
> >> I go to an X window being displayed on the same server (I don’t know X
> >> terminology precisely) and highlight some text.  With my window manager
> >> (motif), that does a copy.
> >>
> >> Now, I go to the emacs window (frame) and hit ^Y to paste what I just
> >> highlighted.  It does, but it takes up to 12 seconds and during the 12
> >> seconds,
> >> emacs is frozen.
> >>
> >> emacs is running on AIX 6.1 or AIX 7.1.
> >>
> >> emacs -q still demonstrates the problem.  emacs 24.3 does not.  I don’t
> >> have
> >> copy of emacs 24.4 to test with.
> >>
> >> Does anyone have a clue how to fix or avoid this issue?
> >
> > I don't, but wanted to at least add "me too," because I have been living
> > with this in Emacs 24.4 on Solaris.
> >
> > I'd assumed it has something to do with using eXceed -- but don't have
> > any facts around that assumption (no ability to test without eXceed).
> >
> > (Emacs is running on Solaris, with its display on a Windows machine.)
>
> Thanks.  That helps.  So it appears to have started in 24.4.

I'd be careful about that assumption.  There are a lot of
components involved.  I don't remember whether anything else
changed at the same time.  For example, I might have started
using different versions of Windows and eXceed (I know
those two go together, because of the way machines are
provisioned at my employer).

What I remember was building Emacs 24.4 myself on Solaris
for the first time in almost two decades.

I might also add that I have variability of paste behavior.
Sometimes, Control-y pastes from the X buffer and sometimes
I have to use Mouse Button 2.  MB2 always does it.  I don't
understand why C-y has variable behavior, but I have similar
challenges in other X applications, so I'm pretty sure
/that/ aspect is about eXceed.

> I’ll wait a bit hoping someone else might chime in.  But if all else fells,
> I’ll take off my shoes and socks and wade into the code.  Between truss
> and trace on AIX, I should be able to figure out something.

Sure, that might help.  I'm not afraid to get into the code.
I just haven't assumed it's actually an Emacs bug....

Cheers,
Mark