Re: X window paste takes 12 seconds

From: Perry Smith
Subject: Re: X window paste takes 12 seconds
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 08:59:07 -0600

> On Dec 11, 2015, at 7:56 AM, Ludwig, Mark <ludwig.mark@siemens.com> wrote:
>
>> From: Perry Smith, Friday, December 11, 2015 7:45 AM

>> At
>> that

>>> I don't, but wanted to at least add "me too," because I have been living
>>> with this in Emacs 24.4 on Solaris.
>>>
>>> I'd assumed it has something to do with using eXceed -- but don't have
>>> any facts around that assumption (no ability to test without eXceed).
>>>
>>> (Emacs is running on Solaris, with its display on a Windows machine.)
>>
>> Thanks.  That helps.  So it appears to have started in 24.4.
>
> I'd be careful about that assumption.  There are a lot of
> components involved.  I don't remember whether anything else
> changed at the same time.  For example, I might have started
> using different versions of Windows and eXceed (I know
> those two go together, because of the way machines are
> provisioned at my employer).
>
> What I remember was building Emacs 24.4 myself on Solaris
> for the first time in almost two decades.
>
> I might also add that I have variability of paste behavior.
> Sometimes, Control-y pastes from the X buffer and sometimes
> I have to use Mouse Button 2.  MB2 always does it.  I don't
> understand why C-y has variable behavior, but I have similar
> challenges in other X applications, so I'm pretty sure
> /that/ aspect is about eXceed.
>
>> I’ll wait a bit hoping someone else might chime in.  But if all else fells,
>> I’ll take off my shoes and socks and wade into the code.  Between truss
>> and trace on AIX, I should be able to figure out something.
>
> Sure, that might help.  I'm not afraid to get into the code.
> I just haven't assumed it's actually an Emacs bug....

I just did a simple apples to apples test.  For me, 24.3 does not have the issue
but 24.4 does. (and 24.5 does).

In your case, depending upon how big a jump you did with the
emacs versions… I know somewhere in the past five years they
removed support for some X feature that the old AIX VNC server
depended upon — something to do with CLIPBOARD or COPYBUFFERS
or something.  That might be what you are seeing.  In that
case, the paste didn’t work at all.  In this case, it does but takes
10 to 12 seconds to show up and emacs appears frozen during
that time.

Thanks for the tips… Onward through the smog!
Perry