Re: How to IRC?

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: How to IRC?
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 20:20:34 -0600

On 12/16/2015 9:34 AM, Nicolas Richard wrote:

"B. T. Raven" <btraven@nihilo.net> writes:

Anyway, wait for more authoritative suggestions.
Often I have to fall back on Chatzilla or another
client when dal.net won't connect. I don't know if
the problem is in one of my Emacs settings or what.

Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> writes:

irc in emacs gets disconnected every time when
connecting to freenode.net which is where erc goes
to connect. Why this is, I don't know.

Okaaay...

In theory as well as practice, unless practice is at
an embarrassingly low level (and a wierd one at that),
the IRC client shouldn't one bit influence the status
of IRC as a network, and the client should be able to
connect to any server that any other client is able to
connect to.

An IRC client can have bugs (e.g. fail to respond to PING requests from
the IRC server for some reason), leading to it being disconnected more
often.

That being said, I never noticed any such disconnection problem with
rcirc, which I use. Some people on #emacs use ERC with a very impressive
uptime too, so I doubt rcirc or ERC have this sort of bugs.

OTOH, since emacs has only one lisp thread, when emacs is doing
something, it will most likely stop responding to ping requests and, if
it emacs is busy long enough, this can lead to disconnection. A common
suggestion (even though I don't follow it) is to use a separate emacs
session only for IRC.

Thanks Nicolas. Whenever I have the problem, Emacs shouldn't be busy with any thing other than holding the contents of 5-10 text buffers in memory. The problem is not disconnection but failing to connect (about 20% of the time. If erc connects to dal.net, it will likely stay connected. Also, I have always been able to connect with Chatzilla when Emacs (erc) is not working. If I figure out the problem I'll post an explanation but I may not devote much time to it since irc represents much less than 1% of my computer usage in any given week.

Thanks again,

Ed