separate compilation frame

From: Ken Goldman
Subject: separate compilation frame
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2015 10:13:07 -0500

In emacs 23.1.1, my *compilation* window goes into a separate frame. next-error goes to the line of source in a different frame.

In 24.5.1, the compilation window goes into a split frame. Even when I unsplit the frame, next-error splits it again.

How do I get the emacs 23 behavior - a single compilation frame that never splits?

I've seen people post elisp code to get the 23 behavior, but my intuition is that the customization is already there somewhere, and the default just changed from 23 to 24.