Re: Replacing huge hidden selection when pasting text

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: Replacing huge hidden selection when pasting text
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2015 15:40:16 +0100

On 24.12.2015 02:01, Alexandre Oberlin wrote:
I have stopped hoping that the current maintainers of Emacs still have an ounce
of common sense. How on Earth can it be possible (and quite easy) to allow
replacing a huge hidden selection when pasting text without any warning ? I
have lost large amounts of data with this incredibly stupid behavior. There
isn't even a warning when saving a file which has shrunk a lot, like there once
was. How can I DEFINITELY avoid overwriting an invisible selection in all
versions of Emacs?

Hi Alexandre,

as Pascal responded already, assuming such thing seems wrong.
Nonetheless thanks coming forward with this.
All kind of mistakes happen, let's speak about and solve it rather than mimic for the sake of CoCs.

Also there is a trade between freedom and security. Emacs tends to the first AFAIU.

Cheers,

Andreas