Re: Unable to have emacs load my .emacs file (version 24.5.1 on Windows

From: John Mastro
Subject: Re: Unable to have emacs load my .emacs file (version 24.5.1 on Windows 7)
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 19:06:49 -0800

Charles Millar <millarc@verizon.net> wrote:
>> Ed,  I'm running in Windows 7.  when I evaluate (getenv "home"), it gives
>> me "z:/"  That is my root/home, so would not my .emacs be expected to be
>> there?  I currently have it there.
>> Thanks,  Gerard
>>
> What does C-h v user-init-file show? According to the documentation that
> should return the file name, including directory, of user's initialization
> file.

It looks like Emacs found his .emacs fine, and was loading it when the error
occurred (backtrace below). The error was that it couldn't find the `auto-show'
library:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Cannot open load file" "no
such file or directory" "auto-show")
  require(auto-show)
  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "z:/.emacs" nil t)  ; Reading at
buffer position 734
  load-with-code-conversion("z:/.emacs" "z:/.emacs" t t)
  load("~/.emacs" t t)
  #[0 " \205\262

--
john