Re: Replacing huge hidden selection when pasting text

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Replacing huge hidden selection when pasting text
Date: Sat, 02 Jan 2016 23:03:22 +0100

Hi all,

On 2016-01-02, at 22:40, Alexandre Oberlin <alxobr@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Pascal,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> On Friday, December 25, 2015 at 2:19:10 AM UTC+1, Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
>> Again, this is clearly explained by customizations you've done, not by
>> the behavior of emacs which is perfectly safe.  You can test it
>> yourself:
> I guess that by "the behavior of emacs" you mean "the behavior of emacs -q"

That's obvious.  But (from my experience with Emacs) also "the behavior
of Emacs with (at least one) reasonable configuration".

> [...]
>
>> But try to put yourself in the shoes of programmers who want to be able
>> to modify their program to their taste and needs!  We need to have
>> programming documentation of each function in that software to be able
>> to use them in your modifications and additions!
> Having an exhaustive documentation of each function is great. Inconsiderately
> overloading basic user functions not that much.

Out of curiosity: what exactly do you mean by "overloading basic user
functions"?

> There is absolutely nothing special in the configuration I currently use. I
> just had to disable transient-mode because highlighting almost the whole
> buffer during isearch as well as extending (and highlighting) the region
> without pressing SHIFT is not my cup of tea.

Highlighting during isearch?  It's not what Emacs does for me, and
I have transient-mark-mode on all the time.

> Cheers,

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski