Re: Passphrase caching for GnuPG in Emacs?

From: Jude DaShiell
Subject: Re: Passphrase caching for GnuPG in Emacs?
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 13:16:23 -0500 (EST)

packages that are smart enough can always use .netrc and source that for credentials and that has been around since ftp got created.

Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2016 10:58:06
From: Jens Lechtenboerger <jens.lechtenboerger@fsfe.org>
To: Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, info-gnus-english@gnu.org

On 2016-01-05, at 17:40, Teemu Likonen wrote:

Jens Lechtenboerger [2015-11-08 17:00:56+01] wrote:

I plan to refactor the code used for GnuPG in the Message mode of
Emacs (Gnus) and started a discussion on the Gnus devel mailing list
ding. An open issue is passphrase caching within Emacs, which might be
removed in the future.

I'd like to move pretty much all password caching outside Emacs so I'm
fine with such plans. Do your plans include mail-source-password-cache
too?

No, I was just referring to GnuPG passphrases.

For example, in my system Gnus's mail-sources variable is set to fetch
mail from a server. The password is stored in ~/.authinfo.gpg but then
stored in mail-source-password-cache variable:

    (("server:login:nil" . "password"))

I'd like to get rid of that too.

I wasn?t aware of this, and I don?t like that either.

Best wishes
Jens