Re: 64 bit official Windows builds

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: 64 bit official Windows builds
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2016 23:47:00 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es>
>> Date: Fri, 25 Dec 2015 14:35:46 +0100
>>
>> IIRC the problematic part is to create and distribute a source tarball
>> with all the libraries included on the binary package (graphic
>> libraries, SSL, etc). This was discussed on the past and can't recall
>> the outcome.
>
> It's up to the person who volunteers for the job.  It's quite okay to
> upload only the Emacs binary that was compiled with support for the
> optional libraries, and expect the end users to download and itsall
> the DLLs separately.  It is also okay to upload the DLLs as part of
> the binary distro, but then the corresponding sources should be on the
> same site.

I think that providing bare Emacs binaries without the corresponding
dll's is not really user friendly.  I build Emacs on my Win 64bit
machine with Msys2/MinGW-w64 and it would be pain if I had to collect all
dll's myself somehow.  OTOH, collecting and providing all the sources
along with the dll's is also not fun.  Can there be a compromise?  For
Msys2/MinGW-w64, all PKGBUILD files contain references the sources, e.g.:

https://github.com/Alexpux/MINGW-packages/blob/master/mingw-w64-libidn/PKGBUILD

So one could say: Consult the PKGBUILD files for the sources
(incl. dependencies) for

- mingw-w64-libtiff
- mingw-w64-giflib
- mingw-w64-libpng