Re: Why does evaluating a piece of Elisp code seemingly not expand a mac

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Why does evaluating a piece of Elisp code seemingly not expand a macro?
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 21:03:33 +0100

On 2016-01-18, at 14:54, Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:

>> Does it mean that C-M-x is different than loading?
>
> Yes.
>
>> Or C-x C-e, for that matter?
>
> As well.
>
>> Is this covered by the manual?  (If not, it might need correcting.)
>
> Not really.  The basic idea is that macroexpansion can take place
> *anytime* (tho, before the code is actually executed).  If you care
> about when expansion takes place you probably have a bug.

Does that mean that it's possible that a function definition contains
unexpanded macros?

Does that mean that `symbol-function' will expand them?

Does that mean that if I define a macro, then a function using that
macro, and then change the definition of the macro, the behavior of the
function is undefined?

Sorry for so many questions, but I really want to understand this.
(Also, when that happens, I might send a patch for the manual.)

>         Stefan

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski