Re: Need "xemacs/init.el" => "emacs/init.el" help

From: Dale Snell
Subject: Re: Need "xemacs/init.el" => "emacs/init.el" help
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 17:43:15 -0800

On Fri, 22 Jan 2016 02:14:42 +0100, in message
87egdal8jh.fsf@debian.uxu, Emanuel Berg wrote:

> Try this single line in a file ~/fill-column.el:
>
>     (setq-default fill-column 15)
>
> (It is set to a ridiculous low just to see if
> it works.)
>
> Now invoke Emacs like this:
>
>     $ emacs -Q -l ~/fill-column.el
>
> Now fill the *scratch* message with M-q. To me it gets
> very thin: 15 chars.

Thanks, Emmanuel, that worked just fine.  I also tried changing
the setq-default in my init file to plain setq, and everything
worked fine.  Now I have to go through my init file and fix any
misused setq-defaults.  *sigh*  (My goal in using the hook was to
keep the fill-column limited to those modes derived from
text-mode.  I.e., I didn't want it to affect fundamental-mode.)

All these years of using Emacs, and I'm still pretty much a tyro
at Elisp.  Ah well, I learn.  Slowly, maybe, but I learn.

--Dale

--
A child of five could understand this!  Fetch me a child of five!