Re: I am confused: why Emacs keybindings in OS X?

From: Random832
Subject: Re: I am confused: why Emacs keybindings in OS X?
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 01:28:14 -0500

Alan <lngndvs@gmail.com> writes:
> Do the keybindings of Emacs, and of the desktop on OS X derive from a
> common ancestor, independently, or is something darker at work?

"Emacs" existed as a concept before GNU Emacs, e.g. Gosling Emacs and
Montgomery Emacs... all ultimately derived in concept from RMS's TECO
Emacs. For a while, it was popular to integrate a subset of Emacs
keybindings in other systems (this is why they can be used in bash, for
instance, and as my other message mentioned Motif). I suspect OS X's
usage of it is a holdover of Nextstep doing this - there were certainly
no such keybindings in the pre-OSX mac environment as far as I can
remember.

I don't know what you mean by "something darker", though.