Re: Symbol's function definition is void: locating the code

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Symbol's function definition is void: locating the code
Date: Tue, 02 Feb 2016 17:52:55 +0100

Karl Voit <devnull@Karl-Voit.at> writes:

> Hi!
>
> I sometimes face errors like this:
>
> "avy-menu: Symbol's function definition is void:
> with-current-buffer-window"
>
> OK, so a package misses some function which is probably provided by
> another package (missing dependency).

Which version is your Emacs? avy-menu requires the latest release of
Emacs (24.5)

> How do I locate the package which is able to provide me the
> function?
>
> Most of the time I get lucky by searching the web with the error
> message. However, this time (and some other times), I am not able to
> find the missing code.

What I do is searching the missing symbol, probably with "emacs".

For your specific case above I searched the Emacs sources and found that
with-current-buffer-window was introduced on 2014-03-16, which means
that *probably* it was released on Emacs 24.4. That was an Emacs
feature, if the missing piece is in a package, googling is the way to
go, as mentioned above. However, any package worth its salt must mention
its dependencies, versions included. The current avy-menu.el mentions

;; Package-Requires: ((emacs "24.3") (avy "0.3.0"))

I think that (emacs "24.3") is wrong, because that version was released
before with-current-buffer-window was coded into Emacs.