Re: Help setting nadvice for indent-region

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Help setting nadvice for indent-region
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 19:05:49 +0200

> From: Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com>
> Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 04:22:55 +0000
>
> On Sun, Feb 7, 2016 at 7:03 PM Emanuel Berg <embe8573@student.uu.se> wrote:
>
> > Anyway, another interesting difference, where I'm not
> > sure what is the best way, is
> >
> >     `mark-active', then (mark) and (point)
> >
> > vs.
> >
> >     (use-region-p), then (region-beginning) and (region-help)
> >
> > What does "the book" say on this?
>

> That's a good question. At times, I use mark-active and at times,
> (use-region-p).

Here's what "the book" says:

 -- Variable: mark-active
     The mark is active when this variable is non-‘nil’.  This variable
     is always buffer-local in each buffer.  Do _not_ use the value of
     this variable to decide whether a command that normally operates on
     text near point should operate on the region instead.  Use the
     function ‘use-region-p’ for that (*note The Region::).