Re: 64 bit official Windows builds

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: 64 bit official Windows builds
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 19:29:29 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

> Third, when Emacs is built with a 64-bit compiler, it runs faster, not
> slower, because running a 32-bit executable on a 64-bit Windows
> requires expensive thunking for every call to any Windows API,
> something that happens a lot.

For a pointer-chasing program like Emacs, data cache effects are orders
of magnitude more expensive than thunking. That's what I observe with
similar applications. As for Emacs, I see no performance difference
among 32 bit and 64 bit executables, for ordinary use. That's how it
should be: a good interactive application is never supposed to make the
user wait, and Emacs does a decent job at that.