Re: Password prompt inside Emacs with epg-gpg-program -> "gpg2"?

From: Michael Heerdegen
Subject: Re: Password prompt inside Emacs with epg-gpg-program -> "gpg2"?
Date: Mon, 08 Feb 2016 19:56:37 +0100

Joakim Jalap <joakim.jalap@fastmail.com> writes:

> No, pinentry-emacs is a binary which can be built when building pinentry
> from source. It's been a long time since I dug into this, but I managaed
> to find what I found then :)
>
> If you clone the pinentry repo:
>
> git clone git://git.gupg.org/pinentry.git
>
> And run ./autogen.sh and the ./configure --help
>
> You will see the option --enable-pinentry-emacs. So that's what you
> should build with :)
>
> There's also the option --enable-inside-emacs, but I think this will be
> set by --enable-pinentry-emacs.

I see.

> > Do you mean I need to install this to be able to use pinentry.el (which,
> > I found out, already comes with Emacs 25)?
>
> Well, I guess. I don't really know, sorry. But I think you need some
> program for entering the password, and I guess this is the official way
> to do it. But the gnupg maintainers really don't seem to like it, which
> is why Arch and FreeBSD don't build it by default I guess.

Same on Debian obviously.

Is it bad to get "Emacs in contact with the password", do I lose
security (question to all)?  The main advantage of pinentry seems to be
that it avoids to leave a password in the swap partition.

Is using pinentry via pinentry.el in Emacs similarly secure as using a
different pinentry dialog?

Michael.