Re: Password prompt inside Emacs with epg-gpg-program -> "gpg2"?

From: Joakim Jalap
Subject: Re: Password prompt inside Emacs with epg-gpg-program -> "gpg2"?
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2016 10:54:30 +0100

> Daiki Ueno <ueno@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> pinentry.el is actually in lisp/net/ already.  For the pinentry program,
>> I don't think it is feasible, since there isn't (and won't be) a way to
>> use a custom pinentry program from the gpg command line:
>> https://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-devel/2015-May/029862.html

Interesting to see that discussion :) I was looking at this months ago
when I tried to get it working in Emacs, but I never really found that thread.

> Hm...  I don't know much about this stuff, but I'm not sure I
> understand.  :-)  There exists a program already called pinentry-emacs,
> somebody said?  That allows us to enter passwords from Emacs, sort of?

pinentry-emacs can be built from the pintry repo at
git.gnupg.org/pintry.git.

Together with the correct envvars set, this allows us to input passwords
from Emacs, yes :)

However this seems to be seen as a sort of hack, and it's disabled by
default on Arch Linux, FreeBSD and Debian as it seems, so I have had to
build it from source. I guess that alienates a lot of users though :/

I agree it would be nice to have this working out of the box. Figuring
out all the steps took me quite a lot of time and effort actually (I
discovered pinentry-emacs by chance while looking at some changelog
entry in the pinentry repo, I think, and the figured out what it was by
reading the configure.ac file) and I don't think it qualifies as user
friendly. The reason I decided to look it up in the first place was that
while the gtk popup diolog works fine on an X display, I wanted
something that would work in a terminal as well. And unfortunately it
seems pinentry-curses can't be run through Emacs, well I didn't manage
anyway :)

Joakim