Re: How to use display-time-world to show time in specific time zones?

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: How to use display-time-world to show time in specific time zones?
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 01:21:35 +0100

nljlistbox2@gmail.com (N. Jackson) writes:

> I'm wondering how to use display-time-world to
> display the time in specific time zones.
>
> The doc string for zoneinfo-style-world-list, which
> IIUC is the list of time zones used by
> display-time-world says:
>
> zoneinfo-style-world-list is a variable defined in
> ‘time.el’. Its value is (("America/Los_Angeles"
> "Seattle") ("America/New_York" "New York")
> ("Europe/London" "London") ("Europe/Paris" "Paris")
> ("Asia/Calcutta" "Bangalore") ("Asia/Tokyo"
> "Tokyo"))
>
> Documentation: Alist of zoneinfo-style time zones
> and places for ‘display-time-world’. Each element
> has the form (TIMEZONE LABEL). TIMEZONE should be
> a string of the form AREA/LOCATION, where AREA is
> the name of a region -- a continent or ocean, and
> LOCATION is the name of a specific location, e.g.,
> a city, within that region. LABEL is a string to
> display as the label of that TIMEZONE’s time.
>
> But these values are _places_ not time zones.

Do you mean there is another, more correct or
scientific notation for designating time zones?
Here the notation is "Area/Location". Are you unhappy
with that?

> I'm wondering how, for example, one would add UTC to
> the list?

Try add Greenland (Danmarkshavn) or Iceland because
they use GMT/UTC all year. (GMT and UTC are +0000.)

The Britton - which you have in your list already as

    ("Europe/London" "London")

- also use GMT in the winter but BST in the summer
(British Summer Time, or +0100).

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573