Re: Help setting up POP3 email (rmail)

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: Help setting up POP3 email (rmail)
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 11:41:31 -0500

>> And then there's Verizon which uses 465.
>
> ... why do they do that?

$DEITY only knows. They used to use 587 but when they disallowed port 25
and went to 465, 587 went away as well. I have to play stunnel games in
order to have postfix work with 465. But it does not affect the vast
majority of their customers much: they set up outlook and forget it.

Wikipedia has some information

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMTPS

but my suspicion is that they are doing it for "efficiency" reasons:
they don't have to worry about negotiating a TLS connection, the
way that they would have to with 587.

--
Nick