Re: Help setting up POP3 email (rmail)

From: Robert Thorpe
Subject: Re: Help setting up POP3 email (rmail)
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 20:28:31 +0000

<cptvlaze@tutamail.com> writes:

> Thanks for the quick response. Is wondering if it was strictly necessary to
> enter my password inside my code, wouldn't it be a major security
> issue?

It can be a security issue, though most graphical mail clients store it
in a config file somewhere, which is just as bad.

As I said, if it's a problem then don't mention passwords anywhere.  If
I remember correctly, if you don't have an authinfo file then
Message-mode will ask you the password the first time you send an email.
You can also make an authinfo.gpg file which is the encrypted version of
authinfo, you can read about that on the web.

For rmail just don't include the password:
(setq rmail-primary-inbox-list
      (cons (concat "pop3://"
                    "your_username"
                    "@your_pop3_server.com") nil))

Rmail will prompt you for the password when you receive mail.

BR,
Robert Thorpe