Re: Help setting up POP3 email (rmail)

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Help setting up POP3 email (rmail)
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 00:56:55 +0100

Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:

>> Thanks for the quick response. Is wondering if it
>> was strictly necessary to enter my password inside
>> my code, wouldn't it be a major security issue?
>
> It can be a security issue, though most graphical
> mail clients store it in a config file somewhere,
> which is just as bad.

"Security thru obscurity" isn't as secure as giving
authentication each time from your brain and
fingertips only.

Question is, just how much more insecure is it?

If you have to give your password many times a day
this is a frustration and time waste trade-off with
security. Unless you enjoy typing the password, of
course :)

Also, consider people can wire your keyboard or
shoulder-surf as you type. Especially if you do it
repeatedly in a public place, it is even more shaky.

All in all, I consider this cloak-and-dagger game
exaggerated. It is the self-image that one is so
important and everyone else so corrupted (and
brilliant) they'd do anything to get ones data. I have
lived many lives (just like Mdm. Kollontai) but I have
yet to see this scenario realize.

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573