Re: GNUS gnus-group-split .. my sorting is bad.

From: Nils Gillmann
Subject: Re: GNUS gnus-group-split .. my sorting is bad.
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2016 10:53:45 +0100

> Nils Gillmann <niasterisk@grrlz.net> writes:
>
>> I have a GNUS related question on mail-splitting.
>
> It isn't "GNUS" anymore but Gnus.
>
>> There are many lists I follow, and with the sorting
>> method I picked at some time
>
> Don't do that with mailing lists directly: do that
> with Gmane! This is the exact intended purpose of
> Gmane and it works *great* - it is incomparably better
> than splitting in every respect.
Here's a question: why? What's the rational choice to favor gmane
over subscribing to mailman at gnu.org for the Guix project and
others I participate in?
I get my mail via socksv5, including the mail from the lists, via
a service which runs on a .onion.(*) I don't have a connection all
time (but from my limited experience with Gnus and newsgroups a
while back offline storage/cache is possible).
For plain discussion I get it. For sending in patches etc I'm not
sure (okay this is plain text too).

I also have lists which are not on gmane or some other
serverbased network with nntp access. for example local
hackerspaces. Same issue applies here:
message gets sends to the "announce" list and CC the "discuss"
list, both end up in the list which comes first in my filters.

(*) I am aware that it does not make email safer, but I have my
reasons.

> So do:
>
>     (setq gnus-select-method '(nntp "news.gmane.org"))
>
> If you like, you can have other NNTP servers (e.g.,
> Usenet with nntp.aioe.org) and mail (nnml) as well:
>
>     (require 'gnus-namazu)
>     (setq gnus-secondary-select-methods '((nnml "" (nnir-search-engine
> namazu))
>                                           (nntp "nntp.aioe.org")
>                                           (nntp "news.gwene.org")
>                                           (nntp "news.gnus.org")
>                                           ))
>
>> I now get email which is CC'ed or in any other way
>> directed to more than one list I follow into one
>> list folder only. This is not what I want. I think
>> my way to think about sorting mail could be
>> challenged with some input from others.
>
> When you have Gmane up and your previous lists working
> as newsgroups, you can unsubscribe to them. If there
> are 70+ that should be a challenge in itself. Some you
> will be unable to unsubscribe to. Get a new mail
> account, perhaps...

I did change accounts before, changing email addresses at all of
them works.

> But even if you do some people will still send you Cc
> mails when they respond to your Gmane posts!

That's the usual behavior on mosts lists (or how most people
configure their mail agents) I am on, To: person you
replying to, CC: list.

> So ironically, here splitting can be put to good use!
> You can create a group "mail.ml-ooa" (mail list out-
> of-action) and then:
>
> (setq nnmail-split-methods
>       '(
>         ("mail.ml-ooa"
> "\\(To\\|Cc\\):.*\\(emacs-w3m@namazu.org\\|help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org\\|gnuplot-info@lists.sourceforge.net\\)")
>         ("mail.misc"   "")) )

In the whole picture - leaving aside the whole other issue with
email in general, with an external service as gmane, etc - your
recommendation looks good to me.
It can be done for almost all lists I have, however I would still
need a recommendation for the ones I can't apply it to.
Take the CC and Cc out of the filters for lists?

Thanks,
--

ng

irc://loupsycedyglgamf.onion:67/~NiAsterisk
http://loupsycedyglgamf.onion/NiAsterisk/
torify telnet loupsycedyglgamf.onion