Re: kill buffer created by url-retrieve-synchronously

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: kill buffer created by url-retrieve-synchronously
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2016 14:22:11 +1030

Peter Münster <pmlists@free.fr> writes:

> Thanks. But it still does not work. Just an idea: Is it possible, that
> the with-timeout form kills the url-retrieve-synchronously function
> because of the timeout, but the buffer has already been created?

Sorry; I didn't notice the `with-timeout' thing at all.

[...]

>         (let ((url-mime-encoding-string "identity"))
>           (setq my-json-buffer (with-timeout (3 nil)
>                                  (url-retrieve-synchronously url)))

[...]

>       (if my-json-buffer
>           (kill-buffer my-json-buffer)))))

Yes, the `with-timeout' is the reason the buffer isn't killed.  Because
it'll just return nil when timing out, and there's no way to get at the
buffer url.el created.

For reasons like this, `with-timeout' isn't recommended.
`url-retrieve-synchronously' should have a timeout parameter.  Feel free
to submit that as a wishlist bug report with `M-x report-emacs-bug'.