Use psgml rather than nXML in emacs 24.4.1

From: Bob Bernstein
Subject: Use psgml rather than nXML in emacs 24.4.1
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 19:57:36 +0000 (UTC)

Over the years I became accustomed to psgml and emacs as a tool for DocBook
xml composition. Now with Debian Jessie I have as noted emacs 24.4.1 and it
wants to insist, rather forcfully (if you ask me) that I use nXML.

My old psgml invocations do not override the automatic lurch into nXML mode
when I load an *.xml file into emacs. For example, in .emacs of course:

(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.xml" . xml-mode))
(autoload 'sgml-mode "psgml" "Major mode to edit SGML files." t)
(autoload 'xml-mode "psgml" "Major mode to edit XML files." t)

I tried adding a local variables stanza along with the above to the DocBook
file in question:

<!--
    Local Variables:
    mode: xml
    End:
-->

All have no effect on nXML coming to the fore.

All suggestions will be thoughtfully considered.

Thank you.

--
IMPORTANT: This email is intended for the use of the individual
addressee(s) named above and may contain information that is