Re: Emacs info browser

From: Javier
Subject: Re: Emacs info browser
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 16:05:11 +0000 (UTC)

> I am using emacs info browser a lot and there is an "issue" bugging me.
> Whenever there is a link in an info page like for example in this text from
> a python related info page:
>
> The usability of the *note email: 66. package in Python 3 has been
> mostly fixed by the extensive efforts of R. David Murray.  The problem
>
> The part "*note email: 66" is actually a link and displayed as "see email"
> where email is underlined and I can press enter on "see" or "email" to
> follow this link.
>
> The "see" actually disturbs my reading because it renders the grammer
> incorrect. Its really not a big deal but still annoying. If email is
> underlined and it means that this is a link its fine for me... No need for
> additional "see".
>
> Question is: Is this configurable? Can i get rid of this?

(setq Info-hide-note-references 'hide)

This gives some recipe if you want to make this option specific for
info files generated by sphinx (documentation of python projects).
But this for me doesn't work as I'm trying now.

http://svn.python.org/projects/external/Sphinx-1.2/doc/faq.rst

   (defadvice info-insert-file-contents (after
                                         sphinx-info-insert-file-contents
                                         activate)
     "Hack to make `Info-hide-note-references' buffer-local and
   automatically set to `hide' iff it can be determined that this file
   was created from a Texinfo file generated by Docutils or Sphinx."
     (set (make-local-variable 'Info-hide-note-references)
          (default-value 'Info-hide-note-references))
     (save-excursion
       (save-restriction
         (widen) (goto-char (point-min))
         (when (re-search-forward
                "^Generated by \\(Sphinx\\|Docutils\\)"
                (save-excursion (search-forward "\x1f" nil t)) t)
           (set (make-local-variable 'Info-hide-note-references)
                'hide)))))