Re: Updating Elisp files while Emacs is running

From: Philipp Stephani
Subject: Re: Updating Elisp files while Emacs is running
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 18:44:49 +0000

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> schrieb am Mo., 14. März 2016 um 19:05 Uhr:

> > From: Philipp Stephani <p.stephani2@gmail.com>
> > Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 17:22:36 +0000
> >
> >  The (unversioned) directory that Emacs provides for these purposes is
> >  site-lisp.
> >
> > But that doesn't contain files that are part of Emacs, and ELPA packages
> are still in versioned directories, no?
>
> AFAIK, if you put files into site-lisp, they will shadow those in the
> versioned lisp directory (because site-lisp is earlier on load-path).

Or I could just overwrite the paths in configure.ac to not include a
version number. What I'd suggest would be to introduce a configure option
to do just this. Or are there any problems with changing these paths?

> I hope the same happens with ELPA, but I don't really know.

The problem with ELPA is different: the subdirectories of the package
directories are documented to always include the version number (
https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Package-Files.html).
>From looking at the code I don't think that's actually a hard requirement,
but I'd rather not rely on undocumented behavior.