On-the-fly validation of (X)HTML5 using the v.Nu REST API

From: Graham Hannington
Subject: On-the-fly validation of (X)HTML5 using the v.Nu REST API
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2016 13:37:06 +0800

I've been playing with the schemas from v.Nu in various tools and editors,
including Emacs. The implementation-specific nature of the required
datatype library irks me; in some cases, it's proven to be a barrier, or
at least a nuisance.

I decided to experiment with the v.Nu REST API (HTTP interface):

https://github.com/validator/validator/wiki/Service:-Input:-POST-body

No need for an external datatype library, because it's bound into v.Nu.
You get the full benefit of v.Nu validation (including Schematron), not
just the RELAX NG schemas. And, as long as the HTTP interface is still
supported, it doesn't matter if the underlying validation technology used
by v.Nu moves away from a RELAX NG schemas.

Based on those experiments, I have developed and published a linter
provider for the Atom editor that uses the v.Nu REST API:

https://atom.io/packages/linter-vnu

If you're interested in editing (X)HTML, watch the animated GIF on that
page showing on-the-fly validation.

The same technique could be used for Emacs. Just a thought.

Graham Hannington

Fundi Software Pty Ltd  2016  ABN 89 009 120 290