Re: On-the-fly validation of (X)HTML5 using the v.Nu REST API

From: Graham Hannington
Subject: Re: On-the-fly validation of (X)HTML5 using the v.Nu REST API
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2016 12:50:50 +0800

Hi Emanuel,

Re:

> I haven't heard of XHTML for years.

XHTML lives on as the XML serialization of HTML5.

>From the current W3C Editor's draft of HTML 5.1, and also the WHATWG HTML
Living Standard:

> HTML vs XHTML
> This specification defines an abstract language ...
> There are various concrete syntaxes that can be used to transmit
resources that use this abstract language,
> two of which are defined in this specification. ...
> The first such concrete syntax is the HTML syntax.
> The second concrete syntax is the XHTML syntax, which is an application
of XML.

at:

http://w3c.github.io/html/introduction.html#html-vs-xhtml

and:

https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/introduction.html#html-vs-xhtml

Note this from WHATWG:

> For a number of years, both [W3C and WHATWG] groups then worked
together.
> In 2011, however, the groups came to the conclusion that they had
different goals:
> the W3C wanted to publish a "finished" version of "HTML5",
> while the WHATWG wanted to continue working on a Living Standard for
HTML,
> continuously maintaining the specification rather than freezing it in a
state with known problems,
> and adding new features as needed to evolve the platform.
>
> Since then, the WHATWG has been working on this specification (amongst
others),
> and the W3C has been copying fixes made by the WHATWG into their fork of
the document
> (which also has other changes).

at:

https://html.spec.whatwg.org/multipage/introduction.html#history-2

Re:

> And what I heard then, the W3C disencouraged the use of it in favor of
HTML5.

Could you please point me to the URL of a web page where the W3C does
this?

Re:

> how would one benefit from on-the-fly validation?

One example: validation errors are caught as you type them, so you don't
end up with a document that is riddled with errors that you only find out
about when you save.

This also depends on personal preference and particular circumstances:
sometimes I prefer on-the-fly, sometimes not.

With that Atom package I mentioned, you can choose to validate either on
the fly or only when you save.

Either way - on the fly or only when you save - validation is integrated
with editing: the editor highlights the validation errors in situ. You
don't have to run a validation report outside of the editor.

Re:

> For HTML, I use validate(1), the "Offline HTMLHelp.com Validator", which
is in the Debian repos pack wdg-html-validator. Worth checking out!

If I go to:

http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/direct.html.en

and then replace the <!DOCTYPE ...> with:

<!DOCTYPE html>

the validator responds:

> Document Checked
> Character encoding: ISO-8859-1
> Level of HTML: Unknown
>
> Errors and Warnings
> Line 1, character 15:
> <!DOCTYPE html>
> Error: no internal or external document type declaration subset; will
parse without validation

How do you (by which I mean: you, Emanuel) validate HTML5?

Regards,
Graham Hannington

Fundi Software Pty Ltd  2016  ABN 89 009 120 290