Re: BibTeX mode --- remove unwanted fields

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: BibTeX mode --- remove unwanted fields
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 08:27:30 +0200

"N. Raghavendra" <raghu@hri.res.in> writes:

> Is there a way to remove unwanted fields from
> a BibTeX entry when doing `bibtex-clean-entry'?
> I'd like to have a variable `my-bibtex-fields' with
> a value like
>
> '("author" "editor" "title" "journal" "year"
> "publisher" "doi" "url" ...)
>
> and kill any field that doesn't belong to
> `my-bibtex-fields', when I run `bibtex-clean-entry'
> on an entry.

Well... I'd say this is over-engineering unless you
have several hundred entries. Because with
finger-habits, C-p, C-n, and C-k, and so on, you can
clean an entry almost in zero time.

Anyway, there is `bibtex-entry-format', a list in
which you can put the symbol opts-or-alts - this will
"Delete empty optional and alternative fields" but,
alas, only if they are empty.

But if they are not empty, why remove them? If you
don't want it to show up when you compile the Biblatex
into a PDF, you can specify that there, instead of
removing valid data.

I.e., is this a data problem, or an interface problem,
or an OCB problem?

Anyway, I'm happy someone besides me takes an interest
in Biblatex. I've done some stuff on top of the BibTeX
mode, and there are links in that file to LaTeX and
ISBN stuff as well, if you care to check it out:

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/emacs-init/my-bibtex.el

Here is another project that might be interesting to
you:

    http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/books/

Good luck!

                   - so far: 29 Blogomatic articles -