Re: Any cool uses of Lentic?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Any cool uses of Lentic?
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 18:10:48 +0100

York Zhao <gtdplatform@gmail.com> writes:

>> it will involve manually installing the dependencies of lentic also.
>
> I thought those dependencies have been installed by cask. So do you
> mean that one still have to manually "require" all these dependencies?
> If so, what's the point of using cask? I don't know much about cask,
> so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Cask can be used for personal Emacs configuration, but the Cask file in
lentic is for developer use. It's not going to help you here.

>> Is there a particular reason why you don't want to use a package
> installation?
>
> What I've always been doing is to clone the git repositories. If the
> Makefile supports, I do "make && sudo make install", otherwise, I
> manually require it, along with all the dependencies.

Yeah, that's hard work. I stopped doing this an equivalent workflow
quite a few years back.

> This works well if a package doesn't have a bunch of dependencies that
> I haven't installed yet. However, I'm tired of having to go getting
> /cloning each dependencies, and then manually "require" them in my
> .emacs. I thought maybe cask would do something about this. But it
> seems all it does is to just grab the dependencies for me right?
>
> The reason I always use my git clones is that it's convenient to make
> changes this way, if I need. I would love to hear your suggestions on
> this if there's a way of installing packages from MELPA/Marmalade
> while at the same time, still be easy to make changes in my git clone,
> and maybe contribute back to upstream.

Personally, I use the "use-package" tool, and then switch load-path
to a git repo for the packages that I have forked.

For your use case, I'd say quelpa looks like the way forwards: after
installing it, you just do

(quelpa 'lentic)

It will download lentic and all it's dependencies straight from their
repos. Then if you want to contribute, you fork, fix, PR and then switch
back to master once the time comes.

Phil