Re: use-package

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: use-package
Date: Thu, 05 May 2016 10:15:50 +0000

>>> "Stefan" == Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

   >> (defvar running-xemacs (string-match "XEmacs\\|Lucid" emacs-version))
   >                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   >                          (featurep 'xemacs)

right, ancient stuff from Lucid times :'(

   >> contains calls to many official packages such as auctex, orgmode, gnus
   >> to name a few.  These calls I presume I am able to transfer to the
   >> use-package syntax.

   > What do you mean by "calls"?

Oh sorry I meant requires, variables setting and hooks.

   > In a normal setup, your config should not need to load either of Gnus,
   > Org, or AUCTeX, but only set things up so that they are configured (and
   > that they get loaded when needed, tho that should already be the case
   > without any local configuration anyway).

You mean autoload instead of require, or do you mean require instead of
explicate load-file? (I don't think I use load-file at all). My startup
time is around 22 sec (vs 2 sec for emacs Q). I just saw that I had a
lot of complains that the source files were newer than the elc files, so
I recompiled those files, did not help much now I have 19 sec. I think I
will try

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ProfileDotEmacs

See whether that helps.