Re: Help

From: Dejan Jocic
Subject: Re: Help
Date: Mon, 09 May 2016 12:03:37 +0200

Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> writes:

> Dejan Jocic wrote:
>> ... it does not load it from either ~/.emacs nor from
>> ~/.emacs.d/init.el.
>
> This sounds very odd.  It should load ~/.emacs at the least.  If it
> were me I would put a message in the file to verify this.  Right at
> the top I would put this.
>
> (message "[reading file ~/.emacs]")     ; -*-emacs-lisp-*-

No need for that, it is obvious that it does not read it. For example, I
have some custom appearance and added Melpa in my init file. It does not
"see" it on start, but it does after I do M-x eval-buffer on init file.

>> It did load it from ~/.emacs on my previous
>> installs, both Debian Wheezy and Debian Jessie with Gnome 3 as
>> DE. Then, for some experimenting, I've did fresh install of Debian
>> Jessie with KDE and it did not work. I'm now back on Gnome 3, but it
>> still does not work. I must do eval-buffer on it every time after
>> start.
>
> Exactly how are you starting emacs?  I assume by what you say that you
> are using the X graphical version and not the terminal version.  Have
> you tried starting it from a command line prompt?  Does it report any
> errors to the terminal?

I'm starting it both in terminal and in X graphical version. Result is
same, it doesn not read init file, no matter which one i choose to
use. So, neither ~/.emacs nor ~/emacs.d/init.el work. Of course, I do
not have both in same time. Btw, Emacs seems to prefere
~/emacs.d/init.el cause that is where it autosaves. It autosaved some
stuff there even when i had ~/.emacs. Think that it did not happen beffore.

>> There is one more annoying thing with it. When I start Emacs
>> with shortcut keys, it reads my ~/.Xresources.  But when I start it
>> from that Gnome 3 dash where favorite apps are, it does not. Xterm
>> reads same ~/.Xresources in both cases.
>
> This doesn't actually follow.  The ~/.Xresources is not actually read
> by any X application.  Instead the window manager uses 'xrdb' to load
> the contents into the X resource database.  X programs then
> subsequently query that database.  You can ump the database with:
>
>   xrdb -q
>
> Perhaps in one case versus the other your DE isn't loading the file?
> Or perhaps the "name" is being changed and therefore not matching the
> stored resource names?
>
> Bob

I did all that needs to be done with xrdb, checked and double checked,
then tripple checked. Result is same, for Xterm it does not matter
how I start it, for Emacs it does.