Re: use-package: load package on key prefix

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: use-package: load package on key prefix
Date: Mon, 09 May 2016 08:28:41 -0400

> I use the p4 (perforce) package which uses C-x p as a prefix for its
> bound keys.  Can use-package be configured so that it loads the
> package (which presumably assigns the key-bindings) when C-x p is pressed?

I don't know if use-package supports it, but Emacs can definitely do
that (it's called "autoloaded keymaps"), and if it makes sense for
p4.el, than I'd argue that you should report a bug against p4.el saying
that p4.el should do that (rather than dump that responsability on the user).

This said, this feature of Emacs is mostly never used: when a package
has a dedicated prefix key, it typically also has a menu-bar (sub)menu
and that one can't be autoloaded (well, technically it can be
autoloaded, but in practice the automatic load will happen much too
early, i.e. the first time you look at any part of the menu).

        Stefan