Re: Understanding after-make-frame-functions

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: Understanding after-make-frame-functions
Date: Wed, 18 May 2016 02:31:09 +0000

On Tue, May 17, 2016, 9:59 PM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> When Emacs starts in daemon mode, it doesn't create any frames at all,
> so I don't think I understand what you are saying here.

Yup, I messed up the terminology. As I mentioned in my earlier email and
code snippets, my "daemon mode" is "emacsclient -c -a ''". So I run
emacsclient (emacs daemon), but do create a frame using the -c argument.
Please consider all my "emacs daemon" explanation in context of
"emacsclient -c -a ''". In the debug message output (earlier email)
corresponding to this case, you will see that the
after-make-frame-functions hook is called *after* the emacs init is
evaluated.

I think it would be clearer just to say that this hook cannot be used
> for the initial frame.

Well, that hook (after-make-frame-functions) is what I can use for the
initial frame in the case of "emacsclient -c -a''&" but never in the case
of "emacs &".

--
Kaushal Modi