Re: Any infrastructure to select one of a few options in Emacs core?

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Any infrastructure to select one of a few options in Emacs core?
Date: Thu, 19 May 2016 22:06:49 +0200

On 2016-05-09, at 20:16, Drew Adams <drew.adams@oracle.com> wrote:

>> (ask-user-for-option "What would you like to eat?" '("spam" "ham" "eggs"))
>
> So this has nothing to do with Emacs _options_.
>
> You are asking how to present some choices to a user for
> selection.

Yes, sorry for the confusion.

I went with this code:

(defun select-choice (message choices)
  "Display a buffer with MESSAGE and then CHOICES.
Each element of CHOICES should be a cons cell, whose car is the
result and the cdr is the description.  The user may select one
by pressing a digit."
  ;; TODO: This function is way too simple and not fool-proof!
  (if (> (length choices) 9)
      (error "Too many choices!")
    (save-window-excursion
      (pop-to-buffer " *amsrefs doi selection*" t t)
      (delete-other-windows)            ; TODO: this should be fixed
      (erase-buffer)
      (insert message "\n\n")
      (let ((i 0))
        (dolist (choice choices)
          (setq i (1+ i))
          (insert (format "%d. %s\n\n" i (cdr choice)))))
      (let ((key (read-key)))
        (if (<= 49 key 57)
            (car (nth (- key 49) choices))
          (error "Wrong key pressed!"))))))

As it is said in the comment, it is far from ideal, but the whole
program I've been writing for my friend is one big quick hack, so
I didn't bother too much.

Still, it would be really nice if Emacs offered a canonical (and
configurable) way to do things like that.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University