Re: Any infrastructure to select one of a few options in Emacs core?

From: John Mastro
Subject: Re: Any infrastructure to select one of a few options in Emacs core?
Date: Fri, 20 May 2016 16:52:30 -0700

John Mastro <john.b.mastro@gmail.com> wrote:

> I played around with a few cosmetic changes to your function and ended
> up with this:

I realized that, for my use case, it makes more sense to let the caller
specify the characters rather than automatically using the digits 1-9.
So I ended up with this instead, which is also a bit shorter and
simpler.

(defun read-choice (prompt choices)
  (let ((cursor-in-echo-area t)
        (prompt (if (get-text-property 0 'face prompt)
                    prompt
                  (propertize prompt
                              'face
                              'minibuffer-prompt))))
    (save-window-excursion
      (pop-to-buffer " *Read choice*" t t)
      (setq-local cursor-type nil)
      (erase-buffer)
      (pcase-dolist (`(,char ,description) choices)
        (insert (propertize (string char)
                            'face
                            'font-lock-variable-name-face)
                (format " %s\n" description)))
      (goto-char (point-min))
      (fit-window-to-buffer)
      (or (assoc (read-key prompt) choices)
          (user-error "Invalid selection")))))

In Emacs's master branch (but not the emacs-25 release branch) there's a
new function `read-multiple-choice' that's similar in purpose and worth
a look.

        John