Password prompts always leave cursor in prompt area

From: David M. Karr
Subject: Password prompts always leave cursor in prompt area
Date: Tue, 31 May 2016 14:39:12 -0700

One thing that has been a minor annoyance for me for a while is that whenever I do something in an Emacs shell that requires a password, it presents the password prompt on the bottom line (do they call this the "prompt area"?). That part is fine, but after I enter the password and press Enter, the cursor stays in the prompt area. I have to manually move the cursor out of the prompt area to return to where I was. Is there a mitigation for this?