Re: How to get rid of horrible GUI functionality

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: How to get rid of horrible GUI functionality
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2016 15:20:18 -0000

How to get rid of horrible GUI functionality:

(mapc (lambda (f) (when (fboundp (car f)) (apply (function funcall) f)))
      '((scroll-bar-mode     -1)
        (menu-bar-mode       -1)
        (tool-bar-mode       -1)
        (transient-mark-mode +1)
        (goto-address-mode   +1)))

Davin Pearson <davin.pearson@gmail.com> writes:

> My new computer is a laptop and from time to time my fingers brush
> against the mouse sensor pad, causing the following window to appear:
>
> Change Default Buffer Size
> Change Buffer Font
> Increase Text Size
> Decrease Text Size
> Reset to Default
>
> I want to kill such pop up windows as it annoys me when I am trying to use
> GNU Emacs to do useful work.
>
> Does anyone know how to go about disabling the mouse sensor pad, given
> that I have purchased an old fashioned mouse for GUI work.

In general, when you have problems like that, you should use C-h k

C-h k followed by the key or mouse button or trackpad anything.
This will show you
1- what key sym is generated by the event you provide,
2- what command is bound to that key.

So now you can bind this key to 'ignore or some other useful command.

For example, I have in my .emacs:

(loop for key in (list (kbd "<mouse-5>") (kbd "C-<mouse-5>") (kbd "S-<mouse-5>")
                       (kbd "<mouse-4>") (kbd "C-<mouse-4>") (kbd
"S-<mouse-4>"))
     do (global-set-key key 'ignore))