Re: "First line is not a complete sentence" (was: Re: Emacs conventions

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: "First line is not a complete sentence" (was: Re: Emacs conventions (was: Re: Overriding emacs key bindings))
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2016 15:21:35 -0000

Emanuel Berg wrote:
> But with docstrings, there is a wierd behavior
> - often, this is the "error":
>
>     First line is not a complete sentence
>
> What does that mean

see (info "(elisp) Function Documentation"):

,----
`----

> and what is the definition
> of a complete sentence - besides that it should
> end with a full stop?

Well, I suspect Emacs can only check whether it ends with a full stop,
but the idea is of course also that it is a full sentence from a
grammatical point of view. In essence, it should convey a clear and (in
the given context) unambiguous message.

--
Joost Kremers                                   joostkremers@fastmail.fm
EN:SiS(9)