Re: hijack C function, use it transparently with in-between layer

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: hijack C function, use it transparently with in-between layer
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2016 01:03:50 +0200

Barry Margolin <barmar@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> Is that a bug or a feature request?

The reason I thought this would be cool to have
is exactly the messaging. I thought it could be
cool to drop certain messages I never care for
anyway (e.g., "Mark set", "Auto-saving...done",
etc.).

I also thought it could be used in Elisp to not
have the message buffer overpopulated. It could
be made into yet another "code scope macro"
like `with-current-buffer' only this time

    (with-messages-inhibited
      (do-stuff-1)
      ;; ...
      (do-stuff-n) )

And then - engage :)

Perhaps it can still be used that way unless
there are two many of them messages coming from
the C layer. But messaging to the user should
belong on top of that, mostly, right?
Unless messaging to the user and logging data
are too much intermingled
implementation-wise by careless colleagues...

                   - so far: 48 Blogomatic articles -