Re: hijack C function, use it transparently with in-between layer

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: hijack C function, use it transparently with in-between layer
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2016 18:22:36 +0300

> From: phillip.lord@russet.org.uk (Phillip Lord)
> Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2016 12:12:12 +0100
>
> The messaging framework of Emacs is a little under-powered at the
> moment -- one which bugs me, for instance, is Emacs has now (lisp level)
> ability to write to standard out.

??? What's wrong with /dev/stdout (as long as you are on a Posix
system)?  As in

   (append-to-file "Hi, there!\n" nil "/dev/stdout")

> Probably the best way to achieve this would be to pull message out
> of C and into lisp.

'message' is just a thin wrapper around format-message, which I don't
see being rewritten in Lisp any time soon.

In any case, if you want more flexibility in the available
destinations, the way to achieve that is by adding new kinds of
streams, so that all the print functions could benefit from that, not
just 'message'.