Re: eww - multiple buffers

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: eww - multiple buffers
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2016 12:55:07 +0200

Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> writes:

> Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> writes:
>
> Hi Andreas,
>
>> eww comes with a command "eww-list-buffers" - however, seems to exist
>> only one hard-coded "*eww*" buffer at time.
>>
>> Is there a way to open different "*eww MY FYLE*" buffers in parallel?
>
> Well, there's
>
> ,----[ C-h f eww-browse-url RET ]
> | eww-browse-url is an autoloaded compiled Lisp function in ‘eww.el’.
> |
> | (eww-browse-url URL &optional NEW-WINDOW)
> |
> | Not documented.
> `----
>
> which can open a new buffer.  And that's used by
>
> ,----[ C-h f eww-follow-link RET ]
> | eww-follow-link is an interactive compiled Lisp function in ‘eww.el’.
> |
> | (eww-follow-link &optional EXTERNAL MOUSE-EVENT)
> |
> | Browse the URL under point.
> | If EXTERNAL is single prefix, browse the URL using ‘shr-external-browser’.
> | If EXTERNAL is double prefix, browse in new buffer.
> `----
>
> So you'd usually start with one eww buffer and then follow links with
> `C-u C-u RET' which would create a new buffer for the referenced link.
>
> But you're right.  It seems quite strange to me that you can't call
> `eww' itself with a prefix arg to make it open a new buffer...

Another thing, in Fx you can middle click to open in a new tab.  It might
make sense to have something similar.  Either with the mouse button or
C-RET for new tab and RET for current tab.  It should be pretty easy to
add...

Rasmus

--
Human: An animal that complicates things more than strictly necessary