Re: Trouble saving to the emacs file dir under Windows

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: Trouble saving to the emacs file dir under Windows
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2016 12:34:51 +0600

On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 6:14 AM, Davin Pearson <davin.pearson@gmail.com> wrote:

> The read only check box is not marked so chmod won't help me here.  My
> installer module adds a line to the dir file pointing to a new folder created
> inside c:/Program Files (x86)/emacs-*.  I managed to manually change the read
> only status of the file "dir" by right clicking on "dir" and choosing
> "Properties", then clicking on "Security" and clicking on Users
> (DAVINPEARSON/Users) and clicking on the box: allow full control.

You are trying to solve some user problem, and you think modifying a
system-wide file is part of the solution. So you are asking for ways
to modify the system-wide file while running under the user’s account.

The Program Files directory on Windows and the /usr directory on *nix
are protected from modification by users for a reason.

Please describe the wider problem in terms of the user and the user’s
actions and expectations, so that others could help you solve it.