Re: GNUs group article counts

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: GNUs group article counts
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 23:05:13 -0400

On Wed, 15 Jun 2016 17:27:20 -0400 allan gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> wrote:

ag> On Wed, Jun 15 2016, Tory S. Anderson wrote:
>> I have done some massive expiry work on some of my groups, to where
>> now an exhaustive list of messages shows something like 1100; however,
>> when in group view and I tell it to enter the group, it is still
>> telling me to choose up to 10x that number. I want to make sure I am
>> clearing disc space and really optimizing things; how can I make the
>> count correct, or do I need to do something more than expiration?

ag> The problem is that the number that is 10x is calculated as

ag>     highest article number  minus   lowest article number

ag> So just removing articles in the middle doesn't change it.

ag> There is a "global" command that I used once (but forgot its name)
ag> that eliminates the holes in the numbers.

gnus-group-compact-group is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
‘gnus-group.el’.

(gnus-group-compact-group GROUP)

Compact the current group.
Compaction means removing gaps between article numbers.  Hence, this
operation is only meaningful for back ends using one file per article
(e.g. nnml).

Note: currently only implemented in nnml.

HTH
Ted