Re: Build Emacs without Lisp?

From: Jeffrey Walton
Subject: Re: Build Emacs without Lisp?
Date: Sun, 26 Jun 2016 15:14:09 -0400

On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 12:58 PM, Phillip Lord
<phillip.lord@russet.org.uk> wrote:

>>> Taking your subject line literally (ie not the usual way its done today
>>>  to suggest emacs = gnu-emacs) have you seen this list of 'smaller'
>>> emacsen: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emacs#Various_Emacs_editors
>>>

>> Thanks, that's a good point. I'm so used to emacs, I grab it with no
>> thought.
>>
>> Maybe an emacs knock-off is a better solution until we get a working
>> debugger to investigate the issue.
>
> You haven't said yet what you are actually trying to achieve (other than
> build emacs).

The goal is to use Emacs as my text editor.

The goal is composed into subtask because there's no Emacs package,
and no working debugger.

Building Emacs from is turning into a dead end because it can't
complete its tests (for whatever reason). We can't really investigate
why because there's working debugger.

If the problem is Bash, then I can switch to a different shell that
may work, or I can forgo the steps that include bash. I'm happy to do
whatever the group advises.

Jeff