Re: Build Emacs without Lisp?

From: Gene
Subject: Re: Build Emacs without Lisp?
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2016 15:42:50 -0700 (PDT)

On Saturday, June 25, 2016 at 9:40:28 AM UTC-4, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> I'm working in a Debian S/390x Chroot (https://www.debian.org/ports/).
> Its a lightweight VM-like command line environment.
>
> I'm trying to build emacs from sources because the port does not have
> a suitable package available. The features I need are (a) Open file
> (b) Save file (c) Search in buffer and (d) Replace in buffer.

> My questions are:
>
>   - Is it possible to build emacs without Lisp? If so, how?

As nobody has mentioned it yet, I'll bring up microEmacs
https://duckduckgo.com/html/?q=microemacs

If memory serves is uses emacs keybindings to manually do what one would
expect, but doesn't have the bloat -- or power -- of elisp.
It was used on Amiga and Atari ST back in the late 80's into the 90s.
If the source code is available it might compile more to your liking.