Re: How to find when a feature was introduced

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Re: How to find when a feature was introduced
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2016 16:33:05 +0000

Rustom's question inspired me to come up with this little counsel function
to quickly search through *all* NEWS files. The dependencies are the
'counsel' package and 'ag' executable (below can be adapted to use grep
instead of ag if desired).

It looks like this: http://i.imgur.com/GYT7gln.png

Below code is derived from the counsel-ag implementation in counsel.el:
https://github.com/abo-abo/swiper/blob/4dbd8c30d5bf0bf7154ca39712bf66ab6f580de7/counsel.el#L1442-1476

=====
;; NEWS search
(defun counsel-news-function (regexp)
  "Search in all NEWS files for REGEXP."
  (if (< (length regexp) 3)
      (counsel-more-chars 3)
    (let ((default-directory data-directory)
          (regex (counsel-unquote-regex-parens (setq ivy--old-re
(ivy--regex regexp)))))
      (counsel--async-command
       (format (concat counsel-ag-base-command " -G '/NEWS.*'")
               (shell-quote-argument regex)))
      nil)))

(defun counsel-news (&optional initial-input)
  "Grep for a pattern in regr*list files using ag.
INITIAL-INPUT can be given as the initial minibuffer input."
  (interactive)
  (require 'counsel)
  (setq counsel--git-grep-dir data-directory)
  (ivy-read "Search NEWS: " 'counsel-news-function
            :initial-input initial-input
            :dynamic-collection t
            :history 'counsel-git-grep-history
            :action #'counsel-git-grep-action