RE: Default Window Size

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Default Window Size
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2016 18:13:04 +0000 (UTC)

> I'm a beginner at Emacs in general and installed GNU Emacs for windows not
> too long ago. Whenever I start Emacs, the window is in a really weird
> position: the bottom part is always cut off at the bottom of the screen.

Consider reporting that as an Emacs bug.  In particular, it means that
the minibuffer (where you can enter commands) is likely cut off from view.

To report the bug: `M-x report-emacs-bug'.

> I cannot find a way to adjust the default window size. Resizing the window
> "manually" usually fixes this problem with other Windows programs, but not
> Emacs.

Customize option `default-frame-alist', using `M-x customize-option'.

You can specify the height you want for the frame (a "frame" is what
Emacs calls a window-manager window), using parameter `height':
include an entry such as this in the alist value: (height . 30).

In Customize, you click button `INS' to insert an alist entry, and
then enter "height" (without quotes) as the Parameter and, say,
"30" (without quotes) as the Value.

If that doesn't take care of it, you can also customize option
`initial-frame-alist'.  There is also `window-system-default-frame-alist',
but you probably need only to customize `default-frame-alist'.

> Can someone give me simple instructions on how to change the default
> window size? Even starting the program maximized as a default would
> be a great help.

You can start Emacs with the frame maximized just by using switch
"-mm" on the command line: emacs -mm.  You can then toggle maximizing
using key `M-<f10>'.  See the Emacs manual, node `Window Size X'.