RE: require basic stuff from specific packages

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: require basic stuff from specific packages
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 08:13:35 -0700 (PDT)

> > FWIW, I find the elisp manual to be pretty
> > good and it's index pretty complete and easy
> > to use via Emacs' info system (C-h i and then
> > i in a manual).
>
> Alright, so what is the exact sequence of
> keystrokes and/or functions invoked to find `x'
> in the Elisp manual?

If you are in the manual, then `i x RET'.

If `x' is not in the index then you will need to search
for it: `C-s x C-s C-s...' or likewise, with `C-M-s', if
`x' is a regexp.

If `x' is indexed multiple times then you can continue to
visit indexed occurrences in the manual, by using `,' -
just as the message tells you.  E.g.:

 "Found `defun' in Index.  (11 total; use `,' for next)"

You can also use `I', which creates a virtual Info node
with the results of an index search.

If you don't know which manual to check, try `M-x info-apropos'.

All of this is well explained in the (small) Info manual,
in particular, (info) `Search Index'.

I suggest you start with the Info manual, before trying to use
any other manual.  Your time spent there will be rewarded.

There is a reason that the Info manual is presented first in
the list of manuals (by default).  Its description:

 "How to use the documentation browsing system."

It will answer that how-to question far better than answers
you'll get here, I'm guessing (including this answer).