Re: desktop-save problems

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: desktop-save problems
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 23:02:39 +0300

> From: ken <gebser@mousecar.com>
> Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2016 15:49:24 -0400
>
> > The way I do it is turn on desktop-save-mode, then Emacs will save the
> > desktop when I exit automatically.
>
> This means that the desktop isn't saved when the system crashes, e.g.,
> the power suddenly goes out, yes?

If this is frequent enough, you can save manually at strategic times.

> Also, in my emacs (24.3.1) I'm always prompted for the directory to save
> the desktop in.  Is there a way to specify one directory where the
> desktop is saved so I don't have this prompt come up?

It doesn't prompt me, it uses the ~/.emacs.d/ directory by default;
the directory from which the desktop was read overrides that.  I'm
never asked any such questions.  Something is wrong with your setup.

> >> Second, is there a way for "desktop-save" to be run programmatically
> >> whenever I open a new file/buffer or kill a buffer?
> > In a new enough version of Emacs, the desktop is periodically saved
> > even when no buffer is killed.
>
> Which version is "new enough"?

24.4 and later.

> Also, wouldn't it make more sense for desktop-save to work when file or
> buffer is opened or closed?

Since we now save periodically, we don't need to resolve this dilemma.

> >> *Third, when I use tramp to open a buffer from a remote machine and then
> >> do "desktop-save" etc., that buffer name is written into the session
> >> file after "(setq file-name-history" but not under ";; Buffer section";
> >> that is, it isn't given a "(desktop-create-buffer" section in the
> >> session file.  Consequently, when I next time start emacs, none of the
> >> buffers opened with tramp previous session are opened.
> > Please report this as a bug with a recipe starting from "emacs -Q",
> > and all the relevant details.
>
> Did this.

Thanks.